We are open and currently running as follows:
- Classes | In Studio and On Demand
- Workshops | In Studio
- Teacher Trainings | In Studio
- Teacher Trainings | Virtual Livestream
Our latest Newsletter
We hope you had a lovely Easter break! It was so nice to see many of you practicing with us over the holiday.
Over the next few weeks, we have some incredible events with new teachers to the Shala, including Nadia Gilani, Colin Dunsmuir & Fini Cooper & Charli Van Ness.
The Shala Team
A Transformative Course For Life & Health
Delve deeper into the power of the breath as an easy-to-access transformational tool with profound and long-lasting health benefits. This course with Colin Dunsmuir and Fini Cooper interweaves psychology, neuroscience and research with the practicalities of how to work with the breath to change your life. The course can be taken as a one-day in person event or a four-week online course.
Breath is the link between the mind and the body. It is the pathway to meditation and mindfulness. It has the power to unlock huge potential. It can shift patterns. It can transform mental states. The real beauty of working with the breath is that ANYONE can do it, ANYWHERE.
Whatever you would like to improve in life – be that general well-being, sleep, anxiety, low mood or myriad other issues – refining the way you breath can change your life. This course is part of a collaboration between The Life Centre and the Shala London’s two longest standing yoga centres.
THIS COURSE WILL EXPLORE HOW TO:
access calm and balance the nervous system
down regulate stress, fear and overwhelm
improve sleep and accelerate healing
cultivate awareness and curiosity
find balance and equilibrium
energise, stimulate, revitalise
up-regulate to overcome low mood, negative thoughts and depression
tackle and reframe anxiety
Saturday 30 April | 10:00 – 17:00 | £125
– a 4 week course –
3-24 May | Wednesdays | 19:00 – 20:30 | £125
Rest, Reset & Revitalise | Day Retreat
1 May Bank Holiday Monday | £95
We are offering an in studio one-day bank holiday retreat designed for anyone wishing to go deeper into the practices of yoga. This is an opportunity for self-care, exploration and discovery, connection and community.
Join us for a rich, diverse and rewarding urban retreat experience in our beautiful studio with Gingi Lee and Charli Van Ness.
The retreat will Interweave an exciting range of yin and yang practices including nidra, yin and sound healing, breathwork, meditation, discussion, chanting and more in between.
MOON CIRCLE & CACAO CEREMONY with SOUND BATH
A monthly community gathering with movement, meditation and sacred Cacao in alignment with the phases of the moon. This month we welcome back Anne Malone to lead a magical sound bath.
Sunday 23 April | 18:00 – 20:00 | Anne Malone | £28
YANG TO YIN TO Q&A
– with Nadia Gilani, author of The Yoga Manifesto
An afternoon of yoga and chat with Nadia Gilani, author of the Yoga Manifesto. Join us for a Yang to Yin practice followed by tea and a Q&A with Nadia.
Saturday 22 April | 14:00 – 16:30 | Nadia Gilani | £30
USE PROMOCODE MANIFESTO5 AT CHECKOUT FOR £5 OFF
– An Evening of Mantra Meditation & Yogic Song –
A musical meditation for inner peace and mental health with a traditional Kirtan performance followed by a call and response session for everyone to experience.
Saturday 29 April | 18:00 – 19:50 | Indy Murthy | £20
WEEKEND FOREST RETREAT – SPRING
19 – 21 May | Gingi Lee & Emma Landolt
LAST FEW ROOMS AVAILABLE
An affordable weekend retreat in the beautiful Ashdown Forest, just an hour’s train journey or drive out of South London, led by Gingi Lee with Emma Landolt.
Held in a nature inspired Explorative Creating learning centre set within a 22- acre Botanic Garden, the retreat includes seven yoga sessions, locally sourced biodynamic vegetarian meals and the opportunity to spend a nourishing and uplifting weekend with like-minded yogi/nis.
Latest Updates on Opening
After much consideration over the summer, we have made the decision to focus our energies solely on IN STUDIO, in person, in real life (!) classes. This is where our hearts are and this is where we feel the true magic of yoga can take place.
There are aspects of yoga which do not transcend into the virtual world and we are excited to free ourselves from tech once again and do what we do best which is teaching in person – in our beautiful studio where energies can exchange and community can blossom.
This means that our class schedule is going OFFLINE as of 2 September. Our trainings only will continue to be a mix of livestream, recorded and in studio.
We’ve been very grateful to have had a virtual platform to offer yoga to our community during the pandemic and know it has been a lifeline for many. We are sad to know that this shift means some of you will no longer be able to practice with us and this has been the reason we have continued as long as we have. We are excited, however, to refocus and to return to our roots as a community centre; a sanctuary for nurture, healing, sharing and connection.
How We Are Keeping the Shala Safe
Although most the original mandatory government Covid restrictions have been lifted, we are continuing to follow most of the original government guidelines. Here are the key things that we are doing:
- When operating IN STUDIO, we have decreased capacity to about 55% of our pre-Covid capacity. Our Mysore studio will be capped at max 20 mats spaced at a minimum of 1 meter apart and our Hampi studio will be capped at 18 mats spaced at a minimum of 1 meter apart.
- We have fewer classes and longer turnaround times between classes.
- All our regular teachers have been double vaccinated
- The majority of our teachers would like to offer hands-on adjustments and assists and will request permission to do this at the start of a class.
- Studios will be ventilated between classes and where possible windows will be left open for maximum air circulation.
- Face coverings are currently recommended in the communal areas of the building.
- Some studio props are now available for use (blocks and bricks) and if used it is the student’s responsibility to sanitise before and after use.
- We encourage students to bring their own mats but we have some available for use – again it is the student’s responsibIlity to sanitise before AND after use.
- Blankets and bolsters will be quarantined between classes.
- The women’s changing room will be open.
- The men’s changing room remains closed, though you may use the shower cubicles to change.
- Touch points and handles will be sanitised daily and studios will be regularly cleaned.
- For workshop attendance, we will encourage the use of lateral flow testing for students prior to attending
- For teacher trainings, lateral flow testing for students will be required before Day 1 and Day 3 of coming