Weekend Forest Retreat - 29 to 30 June 2024
Gingi Lee and Charli Van Ness.. will be running this nourishing and uplifting weekend retreat set in the heart of the magical Ashdown Forest, just an hour’s train journey or drive out of South London. There will be six yoga sessions across two days including energising flow yoga, pranayama, chanting and meditation plus yin and Nidra and a Sound Bath. The retreat is set in a beautiful peaceful setting with simple modest accommodation and two locally sourced vegetarian meals a day included in the weekend price.
About your stay
Emerson College is a nature inspired Explorative Creative learning centre in the heart of Forest Row. A biodynamic farm shop and café is attached within walking distance. It sits within a 22-acre Botanic Garden with beautiful ponds, lawns and flower beds, a vegetable garden, an apple orchard and a wood full of bluebells in spring. All the land is managed biodynamically with many rare trees and over 100 medicinal plants, all of which creates an enchanting environment. The magical Ashdown Forest with its many walking trails lies just beyond.
The venue is simple, natural, peaceful, with lots of light and space.
The kitchen garden supplies the kitchen with fresh vegetables, salads and herbs. Any food that is not grown in the garden, is sourced locally and organically to create nourishing vegetarian meals. Gluten free and vegan diets can be catered for on request and for those with other special diets self-catering facilities are available.
We are delighted to announce that Emerson is opening a NEW cafe should you wish to have a bit of breakfast or an additional snack across the weekend.
Gingi Lee – Founder & Co-Director of the Shala & The Shala School of Yoga, RYT-500 Lead Teacher Trainer, Senior Ashtanga Yoga, Aerial & Yamuna Bodyrolling Teacher
Gingi is the Co-director of the Shala and founded the studio in 1997 as one of London’s first dedicated ashtanga yoga centre. He has been teaching yoga for over 25 years and is one of the country’s most senior yoga teachers.
For 25 years, Gingi has focused his energy on teaching at his centre in South London, alongside hosting yoga holidays and workshops abroad. He has played a key role in popularising ashtanga yoga in the UK and has taught, trained and inspired many British yoga teachers. In 2016 he established the Shala School of Yoga teacher training programme where he now focuses much of his time running a Level 1 200-hour teacher training and a Level 2 300-hour teacher training Programme. Gingi is a well-respected teacher who has remained at the forefront of the yoga community. His teaching is characterised by sensitivity, warmth and a deep commitment to the practice of yoga to support physical, mental and spiritual well-being.
Charli Van Ness – Teacher Trainer
Charli works alongside Gingi on the Shala 200-hour teacher training.
Charli teaches Classes, Workshops, Teacher Trainings Retreats to the community of all ages, especially to those who are vulnerable or in recovery. She has been teaching since 2005 and is an E-RYT 500hrs Yoga Teacher. She has run her own RYS 200hrs Teacher Training School since 2007 and collaborates with the Shala School of Yoga on our 200-hour Teacher Training Course for those wishing to become teachers or for self development. Being a YACEP Provider, Charli also runs short CPD Courses – KulaKids Teacher Training, Padme Humm Sound Healing CPD Training + Women’s Wellbeing CPD Training. Charli is in absolute JOY when sharing her healing modality ‘Sound Energy Medicine’ (VibroAcoustic Therapy) + Womb Mandala Healing delivered in Groups, Privately + to accompany Art Therapy and Massage Therapists in Treatments.
Are you interested in this Course?
Single rooms are in shared student chalet-style houses, with shared bathroom facilities. The rooms are simply, modest rustic, quiet and comfortable.
- All rooms are single occupancy. We may be able to book one or two twin rooms on request.
- Bedrooms have shared toilets and showers.
- Some bedrooms have a wash basin.
- Bed linen and towels are provided and are included in the price.
- Free WIFI is available in designated areas of the venue.
- Tea & coffee (instant) making facilities in kitchens.
- 10 – 11am | Arrivals
*10.20am pick up from train that arrives East Grinstead at 10.20am (train leaves Victoria 9.20 via Clapham Junction 9.27 and East Croydon 9.40)
- 11-12.30 pm | Welcoming & Grounding Practice | Gingi
- 12:45 pm | Lunch
- 2-4pm | Living Yoga Themed Workshop | Gingi & Charli
- 4pm | Time to explore the forest
- 6:15 pm | Supper
- 7pm | Sound Bath & Nidra | Charli
- 8.30pm | Fireside Gathering (*weather permitting)
- 9–10 am | Meditation, Pranayama & Mindful Movement | Gingi
- 10-11:30 am | Energising Flow | Gingi
- 12:45 pm | Lunch
- 1-3.30 pm | Yin & Nidra | Charli
- 3.30-4.30 | Closing | Gingi & Charli
Free Transfers from Train & Other Arrival & Departing Notes
- We offer a free transfer from East Grinstead train station picking up from the train that arrives at 10:20 am ((train leaves Victoria 9.20 via Clapham Junction 9.27 and East Croydon 9.40). If you would like to book the transfer, you must book this separately HERE. Transfer spaces are limited so early booking is recommended
- Those booked on to a transfer will be automatically booked in to return to the train station to get the 5.10pm train back to London
- If you need to cancel this pickup, please do so at least 48 hours in advance so a space can be released to the waiting list, if necessary.
- If you are not arriving on the train/transfer suggested and will be arriving later than 4.30pm please email us in advance to notify us.
- Room check out is after lunch at 1:30 pm on Sunday (tbc)
Exploring the Area
- Walks: Forest Way, Ashdown Forest
- Cafes in Forest Row: Tablehurst Farm, Seasons
- Places to Visit: Eridge Deer Park, Wakehurst Place
Prices & Payments
Residential – £315
A non-refundable deposit of £150 is required on booking.
- accommodation x 1 nights
- lunch x 2
- dinner x 1
- tea and coffee
- yoga sessions x 6 (including sound bath)
- admin fee
- transfer from East Grinstead station
Not included: breakfast, treatments, snacks and additional drinks
- £150 of the fee is taken on behalf of Emerson College.
- The deposit is non refundable and non transferable.
- A 3-installment payment plan is automatically set up (£125 deposit, £95 taken 30 days later with the final payment of £95 taken 60 days after booking.
- Please note that if you book within 30 days of the event, full payment will be taken and if booked within 60 days, only 2 installments are possible.
- Please ensure that your card details are saved so that the second payment can be automated. Thank you.
Additional Retreat Dates – if you cannot make our retreat in June, we run one in September time also – see Autumn Retreat.
Please register your interest in this course so we can keep you updated.