Yoga for Pregnancy
In West Norwood / West Dulwich area
Ante-Natal Yoga plays a vital role in ensuring women are nurtured and well supported throughout pregnancy and childbirth. The practice of yoga also has a positive impact on the physical and mental development of the baby in utero.
Our ante-natal yoga classes provide a warm, supportive and nourishing environment to guide you safely through pregnancy (from 12 weeks onwards). The focus of these classes is to combine yoga for pregnancy and birth with ante-natal and childbirth education. The classes help to create an environment conducive for a healthy pregnancy, as well as empowering you to have a conscious and positive birth experience. They also provide a valuable opportunity to make connections with pregnant women from West Norwood, Dulwich, Streatham, Herne Hill, Crystal Palace and other neighbouring areas.
Pregnancy naturally inspires a connection to and curiosity with our bodies and yoga enhances this, taking us deeper into ourselves. All postures are designed to help you feel your best as your baby and you grow together. Giving birth requires energy and stamina so staying active during pregnancy is good preparation for labour. A regular yoga practice can reduce the length of time in labour and facilitate a smooth birth.
Yoga teachers, childbirth educators and doulas, Alexa Dean and Vera Dubrovina both teach the classes with an open mind and open heart, creating an upbeat, nurturing and friendly atmosphere, with music and lots of warmth and good humour. Each class ends with a deep relaxation and a quiet moment to feel at peace with your growing baby, a cocoon of love and calm in our busy lives.
The benefits of a regular yoga practice are well documented and ante-natal yoga is widely recommended by health professionals to be one of the safest forms of exercise in pregnancy. Pregnancy naturally inspires a connection to and curiosity with our bodies and yoga enhances this, taking us deeper into ourselves. Regular yoga during early and mid pregnancy helps to:
- calm the nervous system
- keep your body toned, strong and supple
- relieve tension throughout the body
- improve posture for optimal fetal positioning
- improve circulation
- give you space and time for self nurture and connection with your child
- alleviate ailments commonly experienced in pregnancy such as tiredness, back pain, sciatica and more
- improve sleep
- connect with the birthing muscles through yogic breathing
- build stamina in preparation for labour
- prepare for labour and reduce pain in labour
- recover muscle tone after birth
- positively impact on mental and physical development of baby
The classes are designed to help you feel your best as your baby and you grow together. You will learn:
- yogic postures and vinyasas (flow or sequence of postures) to build stamina and strength, tone muscles and loosen hips and pelvis
- yoga positions and movements to create comfort and space for you and your baby
- postural awareness through pregnancy and adjustments that need to be made as your pregnancy progresses
- pelvic awareness and pelvic floor exercises to support you during pregnancy and labour
- useful postures for labour and birth
- spinal alignment
- yogic breathing techniques to help you stay grounded and calm during pregnancy and prepare for support during labour
- breath awareness to calm the busy mind
- how to employ the breath to release fear, tension and negative thoughts
- visualisations and affirmations for pregnancy and birth
Please see tabs below for practical information on who should join, our introductory offer, bookings, access and more and click here for further advice if you are new to the Shala.
Join our Facebook Mums Group to connect with other local pre- and post-natal Mums in West Norwood, Dulwich, Herne Hill, Crystal Palace, Streatham and other nearby areas.
Pregnancy Wellness Workshops
Find out more about our Pregnancy Wellness sessions, nurturing afternoons that include aromatherapy blending, hypnobirthing and an opportunity to get your questions answered by two inspiring, knowledgeable and passionate midwives.