Yoga for Early & Mid-Pregnancy
In West Norwood & West Dulwich
Yoga plays a vital role in ensuring women are nurtured and well supported throughout early and mid pregnancy (from 12 weeks). The practice of yoga also has a positive impact on the physical and mental development of the baby in utero.
Our ante-natal yoga classes provide a warm, supportive and nourishing environment to guide you safely through early and mid-pregnancy. The focus of these classes is to combine yoga for pregnancy and birth with ante-natal and childbirth education. The classes help to create an environment conducive for a healthy pregnancy, as well as empowering you to have a conscious and positive birth experience. They also provide a valuable opportunity to make connections with pregnant women from West Norwood, Dulwich, Streatham, Herne Hill and other neighbouring areas.
Yoga teacher, childbirth educator and doula, Alexa Dean teaches the classes with an open mind and open heart, creating an upbeat, nurturing and friendly atmosphere, with music and lots of warmth and good humour. Each class ends with a deep relaxation and a quiet moment to feel at peace with your growing baby, a cocoon of love and calm in our busy lives.
The benefits of a regular yoga practice are well documented and ante-natal yoga is widely recommended by health professionals to be one of the safest forms of exercise in pregnancy. Pregnancy naturally inspires a connection to and curiosity with our bodies and yoga enhances this, taking us deeper into ourselves. Regular yoga during early and mid pregnancy helps to:
- calm the nervous system
- keep your body toned, strong and supple
- relieve tension throughout the body
- improve posture
- improve circulation
- give you space and time for self nurture and connection with your child
- alleviate ailments commonly experienced in early and mid pregnancy such as tiredness, back pain, sciatica and more
- improve sleep
- connect with the birthing muscles through yogic breathing
- build stamina in preparation for labour
- positively impact on mental and physical development of baby
The classes are designed to help you feel your best as your baby and you grow together. You will learn:
- yoga positions and movements to create comfort and space for you and your baby in the middle trimester
- posture awareness
- pelvic awareness and pelvic floor exercises
- yogic breathing techniques to help you stay grounded
- deep relaxation and meditation techniques
- visualisations and affirmations for pregnancy
- breath awareness to calm the busy mind
- how to employ the breath to release fear, tension and negative thoughts
- postures and vinyasas for muscle elasticity, stamina and strength
- spinal alignment
- loosening hips and pelvis
- all over toning and strengthening
poses for labour and birth
Please see tabs below for practical information on who should join, trial classes, bookings, access and more and click here for further advice if you are new to the Shala.
Join our Facebook Mums Group to connect with other local pre- and post-natal Mums in the area.